Innovative 2,500 TEU “Trade Wings 2,500” container ship from VPLP Design, Alwena Shipping, SDARI and AYRO receives approval in principle from Bureau Veritas

0

The “Trade Wings 2,500”, an innovative container ship with a capacity of 2,500 TEU (Twenty-Foot Equivalent Unit), jointly designed by VPLP Design, Alwena Shipping, SDARI and AYRO has received approval in principle from Bureau Veritas. With an overall length of 197 m and a width of 32 m, the vessel has a deadweight of 32,500 m tonnes.

It favors the combination of a propulsion assisted by the wind with six Oceanwings® with an electric propulsion LNG with nacelles. The wings are installed on a vertical sliding mechanism to partially retract them while the vessel is on the port side, thus minimizing the impact on cargo operations. The LNG storage tank is based on GTT’s Mark III containment system and the LNG plant is designed with 4-stroke pure gas generator sets only. This architecture is a flexible platform offering a possible upgrade to carbon-free fuels in the future such as ammonia or hydrogen.

Suitable for short sea shipping operations or refueling in Europe, Central America, the Caribbean Islands and China, the Trade Wings 2500 can also operate on transatlantic trade. The design minimizes time in port operations, as maneuverability is increased with pods, and the hatch-less design further speeds up cargo operations.

Concept TradeWinds 25000

On a typical 4000 Nm transatlantic route, the Trade Wings 2500 will save on average 35% CO2 equivalent emissions compared to a conventional design, with a 2-stroke engine, single shaft and without wings, at the same speed . Of these 35% savings, Oceanwings® represents 57%, with thermal propulsion optimized for LNG providing the remaining 43%.

This collaborative work to design the Trade Wings 2500 paves the way for what the low-emission container ships of the near future could be.

Source: Bureau Veritas

After reviewing the main drawings, on May 12, 2021, Bureau Veritas Marine & Offshore granted approval in principle to the basic design of the Trade Wings 2500.

Alex Gregg-Smith, Bureau Veritas Senior Vice President for North Asia, said: “Wind-assisted propulsion is a high potential solution that can contribute to the long-term decarbonization of the marine industry. We’ve just released new wind propulsion system rules – and this innovative design, approved in principle by BV, including a sliding mechanism, demonstrates the feasibility of wind-assisted propulsion on board container ships with limits of deck space. Benefiting from an uncovered hatch and LNG electric nacelle propulsion, the design offers both operational flexibility, improved efficiency and reduced carbon emissions, meeting or exceeding regulatory requirements. Bureau Veritas continues to meet the challenges of the energy transition by providing solutions to safety, risk and performance requirements for innovation in future fuels and propulsion systems. ”
Source: Bureau Veritas

Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.